Nemetschek Scia Announces the Release of Scia Engineer 14
Herk-de-Stad, (May 21, 2014) Nemetschek Scia, the world's premier developer of structural engineering and fabrication software that supports the BIM process, announces the release of Scia Engineer version 14. With the theme “Expanding Design,” this latest upgrade to the company’s flagship structural analysis and design software focuses on three key areas: Open Design Checks, Core Analysis & Results Evaluation and Usability.
“It’s amazing to see how far Scia Engineer has come in the past 40 years,” says CEO Dr. Jean-Pierre Rammant. “With staff in 10 countries and users in over 80, Scia Engineer is one of only a few structural design programs with a truly global reach. Scia Engineer 14 provides engineers with a new software program, as well as a platform upon which they can build solutions that meet their exact design requirements, no matter what kind of project they work on, what material they work with, or where in the world their projects are located.”
Open Design Checks
Firms can now expand Scia Engineer design capabilities by linking their own custom engineering calculations to Scia Engineer’s finite element analysis model.
“Giving engineers the ability to write and run their own custom checks and calculations in their structural design software is a real game changer for a lot of firms,” says Geert Adriaenssens, Business & Product Manager Design Solutions.
With Open Design Checks in Scia Engineer 14, firms can:
- Centralize their custom calculations and checks into one integrated workflow, meaning there are fewer, disparate analysis models that need to be manually coordinated.
- See exactly what formulas and methods are being used for a check. Designs are completely transparent, eliminating the “black box” aspect of current engineering design software.
- Remove the dependency firms have on any one software vendor. Engineers can now easily extend their analysis software by adding their own design checks whenever they need them.
Core Analysis & Results Evaluation
Intense focus has been directed on the core functionality of the software – structural analysis. Scia Engineer 14 comes up with:
- 'Automatic Mesh Refinement' technology—a cutting-edge development from the latest in Finite Element Analysis research. With 'Automatic Mesh Refinement', Scia Engineer 14 can auto-detect in a smart way where precisely the mesh size should be refined. Then, based on tolerances set by the user, the mesh generator will automatically apply the correct refinements. The result is faster meshing and more accurate results.
- A new results view, which lets engineers see realistic deformations and stresses on members in an interactive 3D view, allowing them to see-at-a-glance the behavior of a structure under loads
Scia Engineer offers many usability improvements to expand the engineering process and make it more efficient, including:
- Scia Engineer 14 expands BIM interoperability with support for Revit 2015 and introduces a new unique Model Compare technology that highlights and tracks changes as models are exchanged between the two programs. For Tekla users, Scia Engineer 14 now supports the 64-bit version of Tekla Structures. The Allplan BIM link has been updated to support Allplan 2014-1. Moreover, Scia Engineer 14 continues to push Open BIM as the only structural analysis program software certified of IFC 2.x.3, making it easy to share models with designers, contractors and fabricators regardless of what BIM they are using.
- Support for load combinations to IBC 2012 and ASCE 7-10 as well as 3D wind load generation and application per the ASCE 7-10.
- Other day-to-day usability improvements like a new Context Sensitive Online Help, Table Input improvements, improvements in the Eurocode steel joints design, and more
To learn more, please visit our Scia Engineer 14 website: http://14.scia-engineer.com
About Nemetschek Scia
Established in 1974, Nemetschek Scia has become one of the world’s leading developers of structural design, analysis and fabrication software that supports the Open BIM process. Nemetschek Scia is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nemetschek AG— a global leader in software that supports the Building Information Modelling (BIM) workflow. For more information, please visit www.scia.net.
Additional contact details:
3540 Herk-de-Stad (Belgium)
Tel: (+32) 013 55.17.75
Tel: (+01) 410-290-5114