You need to invest and learn just one application and you get an instant access to functionality for all phases of the structural design: modelling in 3D, automatic FEM mesh generation, fast advanced calculations, dedicated design and checks, automated drawings, clear and comprehensive printouts, notwithstanding the interfaces for potential communication with other applications.
SCIA Engineer supports a vast range of open interfaces like IFC, SDNF, MS Excel, XML, VRML, DWG, DXF as well as dedicated links with established CAD (Autodesk Revit or Tekla Structures) and FEM-analysis applications. SCIA is a member of the buildingSMART Alliance and SCIA Engineer is the only structural analysis software that is certified for supporting Open BIM.
This enables you to easily leverage models created by others into analysis, and pass back optimized structural models to designers, fabricators, and contractors.
SCIA Engineer is not just a pure “calculation” engine. On the contrary, it accompanies you from the draft design till the production of final documentation including automated general arrangement drawings.
Once all the analyses and code checks have been performed, SCIA Engineer offers you intuitive tools for creation of a well arranged, clear and comprehensive document and for generation of general arrangement drawings. Both the document and the drawings are linked to the original 3D model, which means that after any modification to the model, the outputs are automatically updated to reflect the current situation.
The Scia Resource Centre
SCIA Engineer is a very comprehensive structural analysis and design software. To discover the details of all its functionality, we invite you to visit the dedicated SCIA Resource Centre
SCIA's Resource Centre contains factsheets of all available modules, technical articles, benchmarks, certificates and much more.
SCIA Design Codes
SCIA Engineer offers a wide range of international design codes. Go to SCIA's Resource Centre, to see a detailed overview of all supported structural design codes in SCIA Engineer.
Here are the main codes supported. For more details, just follow the links below.
- SCIA Engineer is a single software application that integrates all phases of the design process: modelling, analysis, design and code-checks, drawings, and outputs.
- Suitable for all types of tasks from simple day-to-day tasks to complex and challenging projects.
- Standard Windows User Interface with menus, tree menus, dialogues, graphical windows and other standard control components
- Unlimited number of simultaneously opened projects and windows
- Fast 3D rendering, standard 3D view or perspective projection
- Simple adjustment of view direction and zoom using mouse+keyboard shortcuts
- Assisting tools for work with large projects: layers, clipping-box, activity
- Intelligent entity-selection tools working in 3D graphical window
- Overall control over displayed entities and symbols: local axes, surfaces, labels, boundary conditions, loads, additional data such as local nonlinearities, etc.
- Built-in and editable libraries of common properties such as materials, cross-sections, non-linear functions, dynamic spectra, etc.
- Easy-to-use graphical environment for direct modelling in 3D.
- Automated checks and conversions for imported models.
- Parametric modeling for repetitive and optimization tasks.
- Analysis and structural model integrated in one project to save time and minimize errors in the case of exchange of data with architects/draftsmen
- Library of fabricated and typical sections, integrated designer for a general cross-section
- Beams and columns of any geometry: straight, curved, arbitrarily shaped, with a cross-section varying along the length or with openings
- Plates, walls and shells can be flat or curved, optionally with openings, subregions or of a variable thickness
- Ribbed slabs, slabs composed of prefabricated elements
- Auxiliary grids and storeys for more effective work with large models
- Library of predefined structural parts: frame, truss girder, spiral ramps, dome, pipe elbows, etc.
- Auxiliary entities such as lines, curves, volumes, text labels, dimension lines
- Designer for steel connections
- Possibility to exclude selected entities such as architectural objects from the analysis
- The 3D model can be defined graphically in the graphical window or numerically through the integrated Table Editor
- Parametric modelling
- Automated detection of collisions
Boundary conditions and loading
- Numerous types of supports reflecting the real boundary conditions.
- Direct input of all types of loads: concentrated or distributed force loads, thermal loads, moving loads, imposed displacements.
- Load generators for wind and snow load, automatic distribution of area load to load bearing beams.
- Force, moment, thermal, displacement, snow, wind and traffic loads
- Dynamic loads: harmonic, seismic, time-history
- Masses and dampers for dynamic loading
- Projection of specified loads to all entities located in the given direction and within defined range
- Generators for 2D wind and snow load on frames
- Generator of 3D wind load on buildings
- Automatic distribution of area load to load bearing elements (e.g. for wind load acting against windows/doors, floor loads etc.)
- Code-defined and user-defined load case combinations
- Load Groups and Load Classes for more effective work
- Wide range of boundary conditions: hinges (linear / non-linear), cross-links, rigid arms, gaps, supports (rigid/linear/non-linear/pressure-only),
- Automatic connection of individual entities to provide a correct FEM model
Presentation of results
- Clear and comprehensive presentation of results in graphical and tabular form.
- Detailed reports and diagrams for individual beams or sections on surfaces.
- Easy preparation of output documents with pictures, tables and additional comments.
- Diagrams of result values drawn on the model in the 3D graphical window
- Result tables are synchronized with the 3D window and can be sent to a spreadsheet for further processing
- Display of standard results of a finite element analysis: internal forces, stresses, displacements, reactions.
- Resultants of loads, reactions, forces in sections
- Detailed evaluation of results and diagrams member per member
- Full control of the amount of information displayed thanks to activities, filters by layers, wildcards, selections, etc.
- For beams: diagrams, resultants, local and global extremes, result in defined fibres, redistribution of bending moments on continuous beams
- For slabs: isobands / isolines, sections, resultants, local and global extremes
- Averaging zones to smoothen the results peaks above singular points
- Integration strips to integrate stresses on 2D surfaces to equivalent 1D internal forces
FEM generation and analysis
- Fast and robust finite element solver with an automatic generation of finite element mesh for any geometry.
- Advanced types of calculation available including construction stages, non-linearity, dynamics, time dependent and sequential analysis.
- Automatic connection of structural objects to provide a correct FEM model
- Background generation of finite elements
- User-controlled refinement of the generated finite element mesh
- Single calculation or batch calculation of several analysis types
- Static calculation: linear, nonlinear, local nonlinearities, initial imperfections, plastic analysis, large displacements (cables)
- Dynamics: free vibration, response to harmonic, seismic and general dynamic load (time-history)
- Stability calculation: linear and nonlinear analysis for the determination of global buckling modes
- Construction stages analysis: linear and nonlinear
- Short term and long term losses for prestressed elements
- Time dependent analysis: scientific calculation of creep, crack, shrinkage, relaxation in prestressed structures
- Sequential analysis combining two types of calculation: stability or dynamic analysis based on the results of a nonlinear calculation
- Calculation with absenting members or supports for simplified construction stages or accidental situations
- Membranes: surfaces without compression stiffness
- Orthotropic surfaces
- Brick or plain-concrete surfaces with no tension stiffness
- Soil-structure interaction
- Piles, pad foundations, soil supports
- Prestressing: pre- and post-tensioning
Code design and checks
- Comprehensive solution for standard materials: concrete, steel, composite (steel+concrete), aluminum, timber.
- Combination of multiple materials in one project.
- Code checks according to numerous international and national civil engineering standards.
- All available code checks directly integrated in the program
- International (IBC, Eurocode) and national codes (BS, DIN, ONORM, NEN, BAEL, SIA, CSN, STN, etc.) available
- Design of reinforcement, crack control for beams, columns and surfaces
- Comprehensive concrete checks: resistance, displacements, cracks, slenderness, punching shear, bearing areas, fire resistance
- Reinforced and prestressed concrete (pre- and post-tensioned)
- Checks of ribbed slabs
- Special elements supported: hollow core slabs, voided slabs
- Redistribution of bending moments on continuous concrete beams
- Export of reinforcement to CAD programs for further detailing
- Design of steel profiles taking into account section checks, buckling, lateral torsional buckling etc.
- Complete steel checks: resistance, displacements, slenderness, fire resistance, scaffolding, cellular beams
- Aluminium checks including scaffolding
- Clear and self-explanatory input of code parameters
- Graphical and tabular presentation of results
- Ability to process results in external applications thanks to MS Excel and XML links
- Possibility to integrate own user-made checks through the MS Excel link
- Autodesign: optimization of steel cross-sections, reinforcement in concrete sections, steel connections
- Global optimization of user-defined parameters of the 3D model (e.g. profile size, overall shape, position of supports, position of applied loads, etc.)
Document and drawings
- The customizable document with tables, images and free text provides for a comprehensive documentation of the project.
- The i Picture Gallery and the Paperspace facilitate graphical outputs.
- Automated general arrangement drawings allow for easy and fast creation of drawings.
- One or more output documents can be created for one project
- The document is composed of tables, pictures and free text
- The depth of details in the tables is controlled through a Table Composer
- ChapterMaker helps organize the information as required
- On-demand update of the Document after any changes to the model
- Possibility to change the model through the document (e.g. editing a node coordinate in the document table moves the node in the model)
- Export to common formats: PDF, RTF, HTML, XML
- Picture Gallery for storing and editing of pictures of the 3D model including results that update after changes to the 3D model
- Paperspace for composing drawings including templates allowing for easy creation of a company layout
- Automated general arrangement drawings for drawings in predefined sections and plan views
- Automatic creation of labels and dimension lines in the GA drawings
- Libraries of drawing styles for the automated GA drawings
- On-demand update of all outputs (document, Picture Gallery images, Paperspace drawings) after any changes to the model
Structural BIM & Interoperability
- Integration of the full design process from concept to design and detailing.
- True Analysis feature makes it possible to handle both structural and analysis models in one project.
- Open communication thanks to the support of a wide range of file formats
- Smooth exchange of data between architects, structural engineers and draftsmen.
- Intelligent exchange of data between BIM applications.
- Open BIM for smooth exchange of data through the certified IFC 2x3 interface
- Interfaces for common industrial file formats in import and export: SDNF, DStV, Step Steel, DWG, DXF, VRML
- Support of general file formats: XML, MS Excel, ASCII, RTF, PDF, 3D PDF, HTML
- True Analysis = one project holds both structural and analysis model
- Structural2Analysis = automatic alignment of the structural model to the analysis model
- Member Recognizer = automatic recognition of beams, columns, slabs and walls from an imported solid reference model
- Roundtrip Engineering with Allplan for both geometry and reinforcement
- Links with Revit Structure, Tekla Structures, ETABS
- Effective management of changes in the model: highlighting of added/removed/modified entities with the option to accept or decline individual changes
- Check of collisions between objects: useful especially when combining models from several sources
- For prefabricated slabs, optional export of one panel for detailed assessment including the results from the overall analysis of the whole model
- Import of cross-sections from DWG, DXF
- Import, export and merging of selected parts of the model between different projects
- Export of isolines of results and concrete design values to DWG, DXF, ASF files