How to model a 'tension only' bar?
This is possible only if you have the module esas.07 – Tension only members. Follow the steps described below.
1) In the Project data, on the ‘Functionality’ tab, the functionalities ‘Nonlinearity’ and ‘Beam local nonlinearity’ have to be selected:
2) In the Structure menu > Model data, a new item ‘Beam – nonlinearity’ has been made available:
Choose for ‘Tension only’ and select the bars that should only work under tension – not under compression. Labels will appear on the selected bars, in the form of arrows.
3) The next step is to create nonlinear combinations via the Main menu > Load cases, combinations > Nonlinear combinations.
For more information, reference is made to the FAQ ‘How to create nonlinear combinations for a nonlinear calculation?’ (FAQ ESA1203).
5) The results for the normal force - in a selection of ‘tension only’ bars - can now be viewed and compared in the Results menu:
- Result for a linear combination:
- Result for a nonlinear combination (with the same load content as the linear combination):