Proper and precise handling of structural glass elements in SCIA Engineer is achieved by:
- Specific integrated checks integrated according to the latest European preStandard (EN 16612:2019).
- Along with the shell stability and nonlinear analysis that SCIA provides any complex shape can be analysed and checked on a global model.
- The program supports European safety factors and coefficients for structural analysis and design. Simple design, fast assessment, detailed calculation report including formulas with substitutions assures a reliable solution.
- Unity check can be seen in 3D for every shell element.
- The degree of utilization of each cross- section is expressed by colour coding the unity check diagrams (over-dimensioned parts, section that
- fulfil the checks and under- dimensioned are displayed). Colour coding makes easy for the user to visually assess the outcome design.
- The Engineering Report gathers all steps of structural analysis and design – the modelled geometry, internal forces, deformations, the Performed ULS and SLS checks.
Laminated glass analysis
EN16612:2019 describes the calculation method for calculating laminated glass for deflection and stress check. Using the automatic configurator, user can prepare his own laminated glass package by inputting the number of layer, thickness of each layer and interlayer family type. The addon will confirm if the proper equivalent section is used or not.
- 2D member data allows the user to input glass properties such as production condition, surface treatment, prestressing type, k mod calculation.
- Edge stress can be taken in consideration base on the type of edgework.
- Automatic laminated glass convertor. User can input the desired number of glass layer with individual thickness and control the family type of the interlayer.
- SLS limit check according to element type.
Insulated glass analysis
Software supports the automatic calculation of the load distribution factors and isochore pressure generated in the trapped gas between the glass panes. The check is available for double and triple insulated glass units according to the EN16612:2019 methodology.
Curved glass analysis
Curved glass can be modelled as equivalent shell both as monolithic or laminated and even combined to form a double or insulated glass unit. The multiple layers of glass are connected with sealant material and the pressure in it can also be determined.
- ULS check for stresses in elements and SLS limit calculation
- Isochore pressure calculation according to production and season variation
- Load factor distribution between panes for double and triple insulated glass
- Curved glass design
- Graphical display of unity checks
Special considerations for glass design in conjunction with Scia Engineer Environment
- Design for static and dynamic loads
- Straight and curved shell design
- Automatic meshing and local mesh refinements
- Openings in connection areas
- Interactions with other structural materials in same 3D model (aluminium, steel, timber, other).
Glass module provided detailed output or stress calculation, equivalent thickness calculation, capacity and checks in every mesh node.
- Output is integrated in engineering report and can have all data concentrated in a brief table.
Detailed output is also available, and it can be used to demonstrate the calculated capacity and the unity check for critical mesh element. A Detailed report shows all calculations as formulas with references to the applied articles from the code, allowing you to follow and verify the logic and individual steps of the design.