How to use 3D results?
Displacements and stresses can be displayed on the 3D rendered surface of columns and beams. The results can also be projected on the initial as well as the deformed structure. This can give you even better insight into the global behaviour of the structure.
The 3D results are accessible at the top of the Results service:
Available values are:
- ux, uy, uz: displacements of fibres, in the member local coordinate system
- φx, φy, φz: rotations of fibres, in the member local coordinate system
- Utotal: resultant displacement of fibres, i.e. Utotal = √(ux²+uy²+uz²)
There are three available types of magnitudes:
- Basic magnitudes (in local coordinate system of finite elements)
- Principal magnitudes
- Membrane magnitudes (only for 2D members)
These 3D results may be displayed on the original or on the deformed structure of the members.
When the ‘Deformed structure’ is selected, together with the envelope combination or a result class, also the type of ‘Member deformation’ needs to be selected:
- For member maximum: The rendered surface is displayed as it deforms under the load combination that causes the extreme value of the selected magnitude on the member. The evaluation is thus executed for each member separately. For every member the extreme may be caused by another critical combination, therefore discontinuities in connecting nodes may occur.
- For global maximum: The rendered surface is displayed as it deforms under the load the load combination that causes the extreme value of the selected magnitude on the whole structure. The evaluation is done for one single critical combination, resulting in a continuous deformation.
Deformed structure for member maximum:
Deformed structure for global maximum: