Support for Composite-Beam Floor Systems to AISC 360-10
New to Scia Engineer v14.1 is support for the modeling, analysis and design of composite beam floor systems according to AISC 360-10.
New interface elements, including an editable library of metal decks, make it easy to accurately model, analyze and design composite floors with no practical limitations in floor geometry or loading.
Composite decks in Scia Engineer v14.1 can be modeled as a plate (concrete topping + steel deck) with eccentric ribs (steel beams). This integration allows for the automatic calculation of beam effective width as well as orthotropic stiffness of composite slabs, which is necessary for both construction and final composite stage design calculations.
The design check, which is written in Scia Design Forms, is completely transparent. You can see and verify the formulas used to derive the check while the detailed output is automatically included in Scia Engineer and the Engineering Report.
Code Dependent Design:
Available for both Load Resistance Factor Design (LRFD) and Allowable Strength Design (ASD)
- Positive & Negative Flexural Strength Unity Checks per AISC 360-10 Chapter I2
- Shear Strength Unity Check per AISC 360-10 Chapters I4 & G2
- Check or Design of shear connectors per AISC 360-10 Chapters I3b & I8
- Optimization of steel profile and number of shear connectors from zero to maximum moment
- Detailing checks for concrete slab, steel deck and studs per AISC 360-10 Chapter I
Design checks performed for both construction and final composite stages
- Final composite stage design forces take into account the reduced stiffness in the construction stage and creep as caused by long term loading
- Serviceability checks (SLS) for both construction stage and final composite stage
- Option to set camber as an absolute or relative value as well as a value based on a ratio of defection
The new composite analysis and design functionality within Scia Engineer v14.1 allows engineers working in an FEA environment to easily and accurately model, analyze and design composite floors according to AISC 360-10 and overcomes many of the modeling limitations found in traditional steel design software.